"Draw your chair up close to the edge of the precipice and I'll tell you a story." ~F. Scott Fitzgerald

26 July 2010

procrastinating...

Okay, so Nathan and the kids went back to Arkansas on Saturday, very thankfully with a good trip, leaving me here in Toledo with evenings to myself for two weeks. This seems like the perfect chance for me, hours that can be uninterrupted writing time (well, minus the hours spent on my internship, but...) in which I can finish my story. I have maybe 100 pages to write, assuming I write a story of about 375 pages. Most likely, the number is closer to 50. I know where the story is headed, I know some of the main things that are supposed to happen, I know that I won't get another chance like this for a long time.

So, why is it that I can't seem to make the words appear on the page? Partly, like the title of this post says, I'm procrastinating terribly. I think, though, my biggest problem may be that I know what happens when I finish. I have to put the whole story out there where somebody can see that chunk of my soul--and then judge it. That is a scary feeling, and I think it is my main reason for the procrastination.

So, now I've got to give myself a swift kick in the seat and make myself get to work...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!