"Draw your chair up close to the edge of the precipice and I'll tell you a story." ~F. Scott Fitzgerald

17 February 2012

just some random thoughts!

So, this has nothing to do with anything today, but I haven't posted here in a while and just thought I would check in and let everybody in on what's going on in my writing life right now.

First, for the random finding that inspired this post, I am super excited to find out that Odd Thomas is being made into a movie! I am a huge Dean Koontz fan--I would read anything he writes, even if it were just on the back of the cereal box. Well, maybe that's not quite the compliment I was hoping for it to be since I quite often find myself reading the back of cereal boxes, anyways... Seriously, though, I have read around 30 books by him (which sounds like a crazy amount until you realize that he has written over 100 books!) and I would happily recommend any of those books to anyone willing to listen. So, back to the topic at hand, I am super excited to see one of my favorite series of his getting made into a movie!

So, what's going on in my writing life right now? Well, I'm waiting to find out if my pitch made it past the first round of the ABNA. I'll find out on the 23rd. Right now, to be honest, it doesn't seem like a big deal. I would be thrilled to find my name on that list of the 1,000 in the general fiction category who made it to the second round, but I'm not counting on it.

That's not to say that I won't be getting on the website first thing Thursday morning to search for my name--I definitely will. It's just that, right now, I don't think I will be crushed if my name isn't on the list. That will just mean it's time for me to polish my pitch and get it sent out to the agents on my list (well, there's only one there at the moment, but it will be plural before too long).

On the other side of my writing, I finished, for the most part, the background and outline for the new story I'm going to be working on next. I'm actually really excited about this next story. I think it is going to be fun to write, which should make it more fun to read. I'm just hoping I can make myself write it in a much shorter amount of time (read that as: less than 5 years like the first one was) so that I can remember everything that happens instead of having to remind myself all the time.

So, I guess the biggest thing going on in my writing life right now is this. Procrastination.

I'm thinking I need to lock myself in a room with no internet access for a while so I don't get distracted. Or procrastinate. Or make excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!